health

[health][bsummary]

vehicles

[vehicles][bigposts]

business

[business][twocolumns]

Devastated Davison’s Supercars wait grows

The devastation for Supercars star Will Davison was plain to see.

Instead of elation at a second-place finish in Sunday’s opening 32-lap race at Sydney Motorsport Park, the Ford star was ruing what might have been.

Davison, a two-time Bathurst champion, last tasted victory in the championship at 2016’s Great Race alongside Jonathan Webb.

That drought looked odds-on to end as he took control of Sunday’s first race, making the most of an error at the start by Shell V-Power Racing teammate Anton De Pasquale to open up a three-second lead nearing the halfway mark.

What became apparent before his mandatory pitstop however was his Mustang had suffered an electrical drama, and championship leader Shane Van Gisbergen was poised to pounce.

Limping into pitlane and effectively driving blind with no indication of what gear he was in or his speed, Davison had Van Gisbergen right on his rear bumper as he pulled in.

The Red Bull Ampol Racing star got the jump he needed in the pits to snatch the advantage, going on to claim his 12th race win of the season as Davison was left to curse his misfortune.

“We lost all dash and comms on lap two. I was driving blind but I knew my shift points pretty well and then when I came in for the stop there was no lights, no gear position and it just had a sort of blackout in the pitlane,” Davison told Fox Sports.

“I can’t believe it.

“I mean, these things happen, it’s just to be in that position after a few years for me to get a win … the last win I was going to get in ’19 at The Bend, I had an airbox fire in the lane and the 17 (Scott McLaughlin) got me.

“I won’t lie, I’m devastated.”

The positive for Davison is after a fifth-placed finish in Sunday’s second race, he’s leapt above Tickford Racing’s Cameron Waters into third on the championship standings.

Now he just needs his luck to hold as he pushes to end his long wait for a win when the championship returns to Sydney Motorsport Park next weekend.



Devastated Davison’s Supercars wait grows
Independent Information

No comments:

Post a Comment