health

[health][bsummary]

vehicles

[vehicles][bigposts]

business

[business][twocolumns]

Key quotes from Gladys Berejiklian at ICAC

KEY QUOTES FROM GLADYS BEREJIKLIAN’S FIRST DAY IN THE ICAC WITNESS BOX

* IN TAPED PHONE CALLS BETWEEN THE FORMER PREMIER AND DARYL MAGUIRE:

– “It’s worse than the Spanish Inquisition. People can’t even talk anymore. They could be taping your conversation with me right now. You wouldn’t know.” – Daryl Maguire on ICAC investigations.

– “You can’t have me fixing all your problems all the time.” – Gladys Berejiklian.

– “I can’t stand that guy… Tell him to fix it. And then after you fix it, I’m sacking him.” – Ms Berejiklian on a public servant who was looking into issues with one of Mr Maguire’s pet projects.

– “All you do is shout at me sometimes, Hokis (an Armenian term of endearment).” – Ms Berejiklian.

– “I’ve never accepted a dollar, never done a deal… you know me, I wouldn’t do that.” – Mr Maguire on his summons to be a witness at the 2018 ICAC inquiry that prompted his resignation.

– “Two rules. Be honest, and listen to your lawyer.” – Ms Berejiklian’s advice to Mr Maguire before that inquiry.

– “Constituents use you every day, people use you every day, right? You bare your arse to the world every day for people… we’ve become prostitutes.” – Mr Maguire on the nature of politics.

– “(Having to pay) $10,000 (in legal fees) because you’re being called as a witness because some f***er was an idiot in the local council somewhere and you happen to know them, is a joke.” – Mr Maguire on ICAC investigations.

* IN QUESTIONING DURING THE PUBLIC HEARINGS:

– “I respect them. They’re entitled to their opinion, but it is just that. I was the only one that could determine what I felt about the status of that relationship.” – Ms Berejiklian on witnesses – including former premier and friend Mike Baird – who said she should have declared the relationship.

– “If we follow the Treasury advice, no rail or road or project will get built because public good… (is) not always going to give you a financial return.” – Ms Berejiklian on advice from bureaucrats against two grants at the centre of the investigation.

– “I regarded him as part of my love circle – part of the people that I strongly cared for – but I wouldn’t have put him in the same category as my parents or my sisters.” – Ms Berejiklian, commenting on a text message in which she refers to Mr Maguire as “family”.



Key quotes from Gladys Berejiklian at ICAC
Independent Information

No comments:

Post a Comment