health

[health][bsummary]

vehicles

[vehicles][bigposts]

business

[business][twocolumns]

Young British tradie on how she combines beauty therapy with a job as a roofer

A young British woman has spoken out about the reaction she gets when she tells people she’s a tradie.

Rose Williams, 19, is “proudly” representing women in the building world by setting up her own roofing business.

The talented student spends her days studying beauty therapy – while also becoming project manager of her own roof company.

For more Human Interest related news and videos check out 7Human Interest >>

“I don’t think many people expect a 19-year-old woman who is studying beauty therapy in college to launch her own roofing company,” Rose says.

“It gives me a real thrill when I see people’s expression of disbelief when I tell them I am really a roofer and own my own company.

“People really don’t believe me – especially men!”

Rose Williams, 19, is proudly representing women in the construction world by setting up her roofing business.
Rose Williams, 19, is proudly representing women in the construction world by setting up her roofing business. Credit: WALES NEWS SERVICE

Rose admits she loves being glamorous and is a fan of fake eyelashes and long acrylic nails.

“I’m constantly teased with sarcastic comments like ‘try not to break a nail’ when I am on a building job,” she explains.

“But in all honesty my nails have never stopped me doing anything and I’ve never snapped a nail which amazes some people.”

Chevron Right Icon

‘Maybe I am a contradiction but I embrace it’ – Rose Williams

Rose says she’ll never forget turning up for a plastering course for the first time – to find all the other students were male.

“Everyone looked at me gobsmacked when I joined in – even the teacher at first. They thought I had come to the wrong class,” she says.

“I do have all sorts of reactions to my job but I’m used to it now.

Rose says she’s constantly teased with sarcastic comments.
Rose says she’s constantly teased with sarcastic comments. Credit: WALES NEWS SERVICE

“On a night out recently, one guy asked me what I did and when I told him I was a roofer he asked to inspect my hands as he didn’t believe me.

“He wanted to see if I had working hands.

“I was happy to show him – he was completely baffled when he saw my long nails and how I managed to do the work.”

Rose candidly admits she loves both roofing and beauty therapy.

She describes herself as a “girly girl” who wants to celebrate “femininity”.

“Maybe I am a contradiction but I embrace it,” she says.

Rose says she embraces being a ‘contradiction’.
Rose says she embraces being a ‘contradiction’. Credit: WALES NEWS SERVICE

“There is part of me that will always be a tomboy and I don’t mind getting stuck into some labouring work and carrying brick and tiles and being hands on.

“I think being a roofer and a beauty therapist is interlinked in a funny way – it’s a great balance.

“I help people make their homes beautiful and then I help make them beautiful too.

“I believe a woman can do anything a man can – I’m living proof of it, I think.”

Rose has hired her dad and brother to join her team and carry out hands-on construction work at the All You Need firm.

Their services include small tile repairs along with complete replacements of fibreglass, rubber or slate roofs.

She rocks nail extensions despite her roofing job.
She rocks nail extensions despite her roofing job. Credit: WALES NEWS SERVICE

“I feel very proud to not only be a young woman in an industry typically dominated by men, but to also be challenging the stereotypical idea of roofing and similar trades being restricted to men,” Rose says.

“It also makes the world of difference to my clients, especially those who might feel less comfortable having a group of men in their home.

“The feedback I’ve had is it’s a breath of fresh air for my customers when they see a woman enter their home to discuss their requests and plans.

“I hope this will set my business apart.”



Young British tradie on how she combines beauty therapy with a job as a roofer
Independent Information

No comments:

Post a Comment